In Memoriam

On behalf of the entire Thomas family, I'd like to thank the Britton-Summers Funeral Home and VFW Post 9013 for their outstanding service and support with Wally's funeral. It was truly a beautiful and honorable memorial to my father, and I do appreciate it.

I'd also like to thank New Life Community Church of Belton, MO, for hosting the memorial service.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the V.F.W. Memorial Day Parade Fund, 9A Milk Street, Westborough, MA 01581

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Second Treatment

Wally had his second radiation treatment on Friday afternoon. It was very quick -- only about 20 minutes or so. Wally seems to be taking them well. The doctor has ordered 3 more treatments. The next one will be on Monday. If we can get the rest done on Tuesday and Wednesday, Wally might be sent home after that. Wally has mentioned that he wants to go home a couple of times now -- he isn't happy in the hospital. But it's better that he gets good treatment there.

On Friday evening, Dawn and I went to dinner with the Flanagans, our neighbors. After dinner, they came to visit with Wally: he was pleased to see them. Karen, a former nurse, talked to Wally for quite awhile.

Yesterday (Saturday), we took the kids to visit Grandpa Wally. They brought him cards and balloons, and gave him hugs and kisses. He was glad to see them. Wally asked my daughter Maeghan if she saw the kitten under the sink -- the cat that isn't there. She shook her head and shrugged, to indicate that she did not see the cat. Ironically, one of the kids brought him a card with a picture of a kitten on it, so now there is a cat in the room (but it isn't under the sink). Dawn taped the cards to the closet door at the foot of Wally's bed, so he can see them. We didn't stay very long -- kids and hospitals just don't mix. The kids got restless and noisy after about a half-hour, so I took them to the movies, while Dawn stayed with Wally.

Later that evening, some former neighbors of ours (the Acostas) came by to visit with Wally. They used to live across the street from us, and used to visit with Wally often. He really likes them, too, so he was happy to see them, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,
my name is Sam and I met Wally at the VFW with my father Dani in Westboro back in the eighties. I was a ballet dancer then and would just like to send Wally best wishes. His jokes and friendly smile were always fun. I don't know if he remembers me, but I haven't forgotten him,
all the best
Samantha Hume