In Memoriam

On behalf of the entire Thomas family, I'd like to thank the Britton-Summers Funeral Home and VFW Post 9013 for their outstanding service and support with Wally's funeral. It was truly a beautiful and honorable memorial to my father, and I do appreciate it.

I'd also like to thank New Life Community Church of Belton, MO, for hosting the memorial service.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the V.F.W. Memorial Day Parade Fund, 9A Milk Street, Westborough, MA 01581

Saturday, September 15, 2007

He's Gone

At 11:15 a.m. US-CDT, Wally passed away peacefully and painlessly, surrounded by family and friends.

On Thursday, Wally rallied: he was sitting up and chatting with us, and he even ate some food. He seemed to be in excellent spirits: he even insisted on getting out of bed, to sit in his favorite chair -- which he did, much to everyone's surprise. He sat there for a long time, trying to stay out of the bed as long as possible. It was delightful to spend some with "the old man" again.

But by Friday morning, he had lapsed into unconsciousness. He remained unconscious until he passed away today. He always has someone with him, someone at his bedside. We've been talking to him, praying with him, reading to him. Karen and Bonnie, two of our closest neighbors/friends, have been here, and they read Scripture verses to him.

At 6:40 a.m. this morning, Dawn woke me to tell me that the hospice nurse indicated that his lungs were filled with fluid, so it wouldn't be long before he passed. My brother had already made arrangements to fly out today, and we scheduled to come in at 10:00 a.m. So I hoped that Dad would linger long enough for Bill to arrive. At 9:10 a.m., I went to the airport to pick him up. We got back from the airport at about 10:45 a.m.

Bill went in to see Dad, and he spent some time talking to him. At about 11:05, he said to me, "Get three shotglasses." I knew exactly what he meant. I fetched the glasses, and the bottle of The Glenlivet, Wally's favorite single malt scotch whisky. I poured three shots, and gave one to Bill. I dipped a plastic spoon into the second one, just to get it wet, and then put two or three drops on Wally's tongue. I wanted his last taste to be of his favorite spirit. Then I lifted the third glass, and we toasted Wally, with tears in our eyes.

Wally breathed a few more times, each time more shallowly and with greater pauses between each breath. At 11:11, he breathed his last. I checked his pulse: three beats, pause, two beats, pause... a flicker, then nothing. I waited a full minute: nothing. At 11:13, I asked the hospice nurse to come in. She checked him, and called it official at 11:15 a.m. US-CDT.

Wally had waited for his sons to arrive. He waited to enjoy one last sip with them. And then he shoved off, to the endless sea.

He will be missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Grampy!!! I'm so sorry I wasn't able to see you. I know you will be watching down over us. :) You'll always be in my heart. <3 love you always

Ralph said...

He knows your heart was with him. I told him that you had been in contact and had wished him well. He always had a special place in his heart for you, Angela. You were his first grandchild, and the first girl in the family line. That was important to him.

Anonymous said...

My condolences are with you in the loss of Wally! I didn't know him very well at all but some of you will remember me as an old friend of Wally's nephew Scott. This is a nice little blog you've put together for Wally.

I used to see Wally around town a lot, with his VFW hat with all the insignia on it. He couldn't hear very well so we didn't converse much but he always had a mischievous glint in his eye, just like his late brother Bob! It has been interesting reading about some of his hobbies and interests. And I see he had a gift for poetry too, like Bob and like Scott.

"Last Rites" with the Glenlivet was a nice touch. How very Scots!

Well, the overwhelming feeling I get from your blog is that the family's been able to enjoy precious last days with Wally and you all are feeling a sense of peace at his passing after a long interesting life and relatively short illness, so I won't get all Hallmark here. Just wanted the ones who might remember me to know you're being thought about, even if I haven't been too much in the family's sphere lately.

Slainte, Wally.

Ralph said...

Thanks for your kind words, wulf!